Auto accidents can be life-threatening, expensive, and terrifying no matter what kind of vehicle you’re in.
But, when you’re on a motorcycle, your odds of catastrophic injuries and medical costs go up exponentially.
Your SC motorcycle accident attorney at Coastal Law understands the dangers that motorcyclists face, the prejudice that they sometimes face from insurance companies and jurors, and how to get the compensation that you deserve if you were a victim of a careless motorist.
Motorcycle Accidents are Often Caused by Careless Motorists
There are very few motorcycles on the road compared with cars, trucks, and SUVs.
Drivers are used to seeing and watching out for these other vehicles, but they often overlook motorcycles. Many drivers who hit or pull out in front of a motorcycle say they never saw the motorcycle. The truth is they never looked for it…
When this happens, bikers can suffer horrible injuries because motorcycles offer so much less protection than cars and trucks.
Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable and should take every precaution to avoid a catastrophic accident. But, if you are injured in a motorcycle accident, your SC personal injury attorney can help you make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Protect Yourself and Avoid Accidents
These tips can help motorcyclists avoid accidents and minimize injuries:
- Ride sober: Alcohol is a factor in about half of fatal single-vehicle crashes. Don’t do anything that compromises your judgment, alertness, coordination, and balance.
- Ride defensively: Because other drivers are likely to overlook you, be sure to leave adequate room between your bike and other vehicles, use your signals, and approach intersections with extra care.
- Know your motorcycle: Every bike is different. Make sure you know how your motorcycle handles in all kinds of weather. Practice riding a new bike in a parking lot or other safe area before getting on the road.
- Wear a helmet: Wearing a federally approved helmet drastically decreases the likelihood of brain injuries or death. Look for a U.S. Department of Transportation symbol on the outside of the helmet.
- Get training: You can learn a lot about protecting yourself by taking a state-approved motorcycle rider education course.
- Dress appropriately: Wear leather or denim and make sure your arms and legs are covered. Wear boots or other shoes that cover your ankles, and wear gloves to protect your hands.
Get Legal Help Quickly
These and other safety tips can help protect you, but, no matter how safe you are, your safety often depends on other drivers’ alertness.
If you are in an accident while riding your motorcycle, don’t let your bills pile up while the at-fault driver escapes liability. Call your Myrtle Beach motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible before giving any statements to the insurance companies.
Your attorney can help you to get compensation for:
- Medical expenses;
- Property losses;
- Pain and suffering;
- Missed wages;
- Psychological trauma;
- Sometimes punitive damages; and
- Any other expenses that are compensable and caused by the other driver’s negligence.
SC Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Myrtle Beach
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, we will help you to recover full compensation from the at-fault party or their insurance companies. Call us now at (843) 488-5000 or fill out our online form to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case.