What should you do if you are in Myrtle Beach for vacation and you are in a car accident? What should you do if you are in a car accident anywhere out of state? 

A car wreck is bad enough – stress, time away from work, medical bills, recovering from injuries, or even the devastation of losing a loved one in an auto accident. But, when a car accident happens out of state, everything seems more difficult. 

Below, we will provide some basic information about what to do if you are involved in an out of state car accident, including:

  • Where you should get medical treatment, 
  • Where you file the lawsuit for damages, 
  • Whether you will need to return to SC for your case, 
  • Why you need a local car accident lawyer in Myrtle Beach, and
  • What happens if you are local but you are in a car wreck with someone from another state. 

What Should You Do If You Are in a Car Accident in Another State? 

If you are involved in a car accident in Myrtle Beach, there are a few things you should do immediately:

  • Call law enforcement, report the accident, and wait for them to arrive before leaving the scene, 
  • Get medical attention – follow any recommendation from EMS workers or the ER doctors, and follow up on any treatment that is recommended, 
  • If you can do so safely, gather evidence at the accident scene including photos or video of the vehicles, roadway, and any injuries, and contact information for any potential witnesses, 
  • Call your insurance company to report the accident, but do not give any statements to the other driver’s insurance company – let your attorney talk to them, and
  • Talk to a Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer before you leave town – our attorneys will come to you if you are unable to make it to our office because of your injuries. 

Where Should You Get Medical Treatment? 

Seek emergency medical treatment immediately, and follow any recommendations made by EMS or ER doctors. 

When you return home, it is okay to see your physician in your home state and continue with any recommended treatments at home. Your attorney will gather your medical records from all locations as part of their investigation and documentation of your damages. 

Where Do You File the Lawsuit? 

If the crash happened in Horry County (Myrtle Beach), you must file suit in the Horry County/ Fifteenth Circuit Court of Common Pleas (or the Horry County magistrate court for smaller cases) or in the county where the defendant lives. 

In most cases, SC law will apply to a car accident that happens in SC. 

Will You Need to Come Back to SC for Your Case? 

You should assume that you will need to return to SC for depositions, court hearings, mediation, and the trial of your case. 

Your Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer at Coastal Law will do everything possible to settle your claims for full and fair compensation without requiring you to travel again, and we have successfully helped many clients without a need for them to return to SC, but you must be willing to return if it is necessary. 

Do You Need a Local Car Accident Lawyer in Myrtle Beach? 

The attorney who handles your car accident case in SC must be licensed to practice law in the State of SC (although there are exceptions allowing an out of state attorney to be admitted pro hac vice under the supervision of a local attorney). 


  • Your car accident lawyer needs to be familiar with the local Rules of Civil Procedure, courtroom procedure, and SC law on liability and damages, and
  • Your attorney should be familiar with the local courts, clerks, and attorneys. 

If they are willing to travel for your case, you can retain an attorney from another SC county, but they must be licensed to practice law in SC. 

What if You are in a Car Accident with Someone from Another State? 

What if you live in Myrtle Beach or the surrounding area, and you are involved in a car accident with someone from another state? 

It doesn’t matter if the other driver is from another state or if their insurance policy is from another state – we will:

  • Investigate your car accident, 
  • Identify all possible sources of recovery including out of state insurance policies, 
  • Attempt to settle your case for full and fair compensation, and
  • File a lawsuit on your behalf if the at-fault driver’s insurance company does not pay. 

Questions About Out of State Car Accidents? 

Your Myrtle Beach car accident lawyer at Coastal Law can help you to recover full and fair compensation after an auto accident whether you live here, you live out of state, or the at-fault driver lives out of state. 

Call us now at (843) 488-5000 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation and case evaluation.

Ready to Speak with an Attorney?

Contact Coastal Law to discuss your situation.

Get in Touch

20 Years Representing Locals & Tourists
+ +